Re: RAID5 disk failure during rebuild of spare, any chance of recovery when one of the failed devices is suspected to be intact?

Hey Nicolas!

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 7:29 AM, Nicolas Jungers <nicolas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd try to recreate the array with a copy of the disks
>
> do a ddrescue of the 3 good disks and then try a mdadm -C with the exact
> parameters of the array creation with the same mdadm version (use missing
> for slot 2).  It saved my raid10 array.

You mean you sdc and sde plus either sdb or sdd, depending on which
one I think is more sane a this point?

mdadm -E before http://pastebin.com/f46EWXEA vs after
http://pastebin.com/Kp145Mkx indicates sdb1 is missing a few events,
dunno if that's too much to be usable at this point?

Can the create-process be done "read-only", so that I don't have to
use extra disks? If I've understood things correctly --create will
only overwrite the superblocks, not touch the data?

So I could do:

mdadm -C /dev/md0 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 misssing /dev/sde1

I suppose the 33% restored spare sdf1 won't help any in this situation?

Tor Arne