RE: Broken RAID1 boot arrays

> > ~ # mount -o -v  /dev/md1 /target
> > mount: mounting /dev/md1 on /target failed: Invalid argument
>
> > 	So now, what?  I can mount the arrays just fine under the Ubuntu
> > live CD, but not this one.
>
> For a start don't use -o unless your specifying options like rw,bind
> etc.

	I misread the man page (it did seem rather odd), but it doesn't
matter.  When I first tried, it was without any switches.  I tried
specifying the fs type.  I tired updating the fstab file and using `mount
-a`.  It read the file just fine, but still gives me the same error.

> What type of filesystem is it?
>
> Try "mount -v /dev/md1 /"

	It doesn't matter what switches I try, it always gives me that
error.  The md1 array (/boot) is ext2, and the md2 array (/) is ext3.

> > > 13) bind mount the dev sys and proc virtual filesystems:
> > > 	"mount -o bind /dev /target/dev"
> > > 	"mount -o bind /sys /target/sys"
> > > 	"mount -o bind /proc /target/proc"
> > > 14) Chroot: chroot /target /bin/bash
> > > 15) mount /boot /usr /var as needed.
> > > 16) update your mdadm.conf and /etc/fstab etc (ideally use labels for
> > > root and boot or fs UUID's)

	The mdadm.conf file already employs UUIDs for the RAID arrays.  In
the man page, I don't see a way to specify the device by UUID, but by my
reading "DEVICE partitions" should work.  It won't help to specify the array
UUID in fstab if mdadm won't assemble the arrays.

, and any other stuff like installing the
> > > latest mdadm (apt|aptitude should work fine if your internet
> connected).
>
> > 	Uh-uh, again.  Neither apt-get nor aptitude seem to be on the CD, at
> > least not when installing this way.
>
> But your in the chroot, and most of the normal tools in your system are
> use able.

	No, I'm not.  Remember?  I can't mount /target (/dev/md2) so I can't
chroot to it:

~ # chroot /target /bin/bash
chroot: cannot execute /bin/bash: No such file or directory

	Everything in your method requires me to be able to mount the / and
/boot file systems.  Hmm.  The only thing I can't do under the Ubuntu CD is
assemble and mount the swap, so this should work using the Ubuntu CD...

> and boot
> > > complains
> > > /dev/md3.
> except of
> UUID,
> > > >
> > > This is because ubuntu probably picks up the first swap partition it
> > > finds and uses it.
> >
> > 	It doesn't mention it when I issue `mount` or lsof.  What's more, it
> > gives the same error for both partitions.  Also, as I mentioned, it
> doesn't
> > show any errors when I issue `sudo mdadm --examine [sda3|sdb3]`.
> Finally,
> > it assembles without complaint under the Debian live CD.
> >
> > > It seems odd to me that all the raid volumes are named "Backup".
> > > Perhaps mdadm doesn't like the name collision.
> >
> > 	First of all, isn't that the homehost name?  If so, it is *SUPPOSED*
> > to be the same for all three.  Secondly, it assembled just fine under
> the
> > old kernel and mdadm, as I mentioned.  Thirdly, if it were the case, I
> would
> > expect it to assemble at least the first target without complaint.
> Finally,
> > the names aren't the same.  They are 'Backup':1, 'Backup':2, and
> 'Backup':3
> >
> Nope.  I suspect you've mistaken the mdadm option -N or --name for
> --hostname.

	No, I'm just reading what's in the superblock (via --examine) which
is what is used to populate the mdadm.conf file.  I did not use the --name
option when I created the arrays, but the HOMEHOST <system> line was in
mdadm.conf when I created them.

> The name should be specific to the individual arrays and hostname is for
> saying these arrays belong to this host.
>
> > > Perhaps you need to recreate some of them with a different name.  I'd
> > > suggest recreating the raid1 volumes with different names and the
> > > --assume-clean flag (except the swap one which won't be since the
> ubuntu
> > > live cd's been messing with one of those component partitions).
> >
> > 	I think before I try something like that, I would just trash one
> > element of each array, assemble the arrays broken with just one element,
> and
> > copy over the files to the "new" partitions, and go from there.
> Alternatively recreate the arrays with a missing drive and add that once
> your satisfied the data is still their in the new array.
>

> > > I hope this helps.
> >
> > 	Well, I'm getting somewhere.  I'm just not sure where, if I can't
> > get mount to work.
> >
> I hope I've solved that one for you.

	You mean by mounting the device so I can chroot so that mount will
work?  Uh... no.  I can't fix the mount utility by doing anything which
first requires me to use the mount utility.  If you mean not using the -o
option, then no, that doesn't make any difference, either.  Nor does the -v
option appear to do anything.  The `mount` command never returns anything
but "mounting xxxx on yyyy failed: Invalid argument", unless I issue:

~ # mount --help
BusyBox v1.14.2 (Debian 1:1.14.2-2) multi-call binary

Usage: mount [flags] DEVICE NODE [-o OPT,OPT]

	which isn't really very helpful.