RE: Broken RAID1 boot arrays

On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 18:30 -0500, Leslie Rhorer wrote:
> [...]
>
> > > 	Hello?  Anyone?  I'm flummoxed, here.  I tried to write in a manual
> > > assembly of the arrays in the initrd, but so far I haven't been able to
> > get
> > > it to work.  One way or another, it just hangs when running
> > > /scripts/local-top/mdadm in the initrd.  Even `ls -1 /dev/sd*` returns
> > an
> > > error.
> > >
> > Ok.
> >
> > 1) Get business card image from the link provided and burn to CD and
> > boot of it.
> >
> > http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
> >
> > 2) Select Advanced Options then expert install.
> > 3) Set Language etc.
> > 4) When it asks to select installer components select "Network Console"
> > and continue.
> > 5) Configure the network (if you haven't already),
> > 6) In the menu select "Continue installation remotely using ssh and
> > follow the instructions to connect in via ssh from your desired
> > workstation and continue.
> > 7) Select exit to shell
> > 8) insert the appropriate raid modules: 'modprobe raidX' where X is the
> > raid levels you use for each raid level you use.
> > 9) use mdadm to manually assemble the necessary root, /boot and /var
> > arrays.
>
> 	/var is just part of the main array.  Only /boot and the swap area
> have their own partitions.  Interestingly enough, the installer kernel shows
> the drives to be /dev/hda and /dev/hdb, again.  Apparently the installer
> uses an older kernel?  Oh, and it can assemble the third array (the swap
> area) just fine, or at least it says it can:
>
> ~ # mdadm -Dt /dev/md3
> /dev/md3:
>         Version : 1.02
>   Creation Time : Sun Dec 20 05:05:08 2009
>      Raid Level : raid1
>      Array Size : 204796548 (195.31 GiB 209.71 GB)
>   Used Dev Size : 204796548 (195.31 GiB 209.71 GB)
>    Raid Devices : 2
>   Total Devices : 2
>     Persistence : Superblock is persistent
>
>   Intent Bitmap : Internal
>
>     Update Time : Mon May 10 01:08:00 2010
>           State : active
>  Active Devices : 2
> Working Devices : 2
>  Failed Devices : 0
>   Spare Devices : 0
>
>            Name : 'Backup':3
>            UUID : 3615c4a2:33786b6d:b13863d9:458cd054
>          Events : 66
>
>     Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
>        2       3        3        0      active sync   /dev/hda3
>        1       3       67        1      active sync   /dev/hdb3
>
> > 10) If your root fs is in LVM do: "modprobe dm_mod" followed by
> > "vgchange -ay"
> > 11) make a target directory: "mkdir /target"
> > 12) mount the root filesystem on /target: mount /dev/<rootfs> /target
>
> 	'No joy:
>
> ~ # mount -o -v  /dev/md1 /target
> mount: mounting /dev/md1 on /target failed: Invalid argument

> 	So now, what?  I can mount the arrays just fine under the Ubuntu

For a start don't use -o unless your specifying options like rw,bind
etc.

What type of filesystem is it?

Try "mount -v /dev/md1 /"

> > 13) bind mount the dev sys and proc virtual filesystems:
> > 	"mount -o bind /dev /target/dev"
> > 	"mount -o bind /sys /target/sys"
> > 	"mount -o bind /proc /target/proc"
> > 14) Chroot: chroot /target /bin/bash
> > 15) mount /boot /usr /var as needed.
> > 16) update your mdadm.conf and /etc/fstab etc (ideally use labels for
> > root and boot or fs UUID's), and any other stuff like installing the
> > latest mdadm (apt|aptitude should work fine if your internet connected).

> 	Uh-uh, again.  Neither apt-get nor aptitude seem to be on the CD, at
> least not when installing this way.

But your in the chroot, and most of the normal tools in your system are
use able.

> > > 	It's also really odd that I can assemble and mount the root and boot
> > > arrays, but under Ubuntu I can't even assemble the swap array.  It
> > complains
> > > that the first member of the array is busy and refuses to start
> > /dev/md3.
> > > The results of --examine look identical to those listed below, except of
> > > course for the partition specific entries (size, drive and array UUID,
> > > events, etc).
> > >
> > This is because ubuntu probably picks up the first swap partition it
> > finds and uses it.
>
> 	It doesn't mention it when I issue `mount` or lsof.  What's more, it
> gives the same error for both partitions.  Also, as I mentioned, it doesn't
> show any errors when I issue `sudo mdadm --examine [sda3|sdb3]`.  Finally,
> it assembles without complaint under the Debian live CD.
>
> > It seems odd to me that all the raid volumes are named "Backup".
> > Perhaps mdadm doesn't like the name collision.
>
> 	First of all, isn't that the homehost name?  If so, it is *SUPPOSED*
> to be the same for all three.  Secondly, it assembled just fine under the
> old kernel and mdadm, as I mentioned.  Thirdly, if it were the case, I would
> expect it to assemble at least the first target without complaint.  Finally,
> the names aren't the same.  They are 'Backup':1, 'Backup':2, and 'Backup':3

Nope.  I suspect you've mistaken the mdadm option -N or --name for
--hostname.

The name should be specific to the individual arrays and hostname is for
saying these arrays belong to this host.

> > Perhaps you need to recreate some of them with a different name.  I'd
> > suggest recreating the raid1 volumes with different names and the
> > --assume-clean flag (except the swap one which won't be since the ubuntu
> > live cd's been messing with one of those component partitions).
>
> 	I think before I try something like that, I would just trash one
> element of each array, assemble the arrays broken with just one element, and
> copy over the files to the "new" partitions, and go from there.
Alternatively recreate the arrays with a missing drive and add that once
your satisfied the data is still their in the new array.

> > I hope this helps.
>
> 	Well, I'm getting somewhere.  I'm just not sure where, if I can't
> get mount to work.

I hope I've solved that one for you.

Regards,

--
Daniel Reurich.

Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd
Mobile 021 797 722