Re: Suggestion needed for fixing RAID6

On 05/01/2010 11:37 AM, Janos Haar wrote:
Whoever, the sync_min option generally solves my problem, becasue i can build up the missing disk from the 90% wich is good enough for me. :-)

Are you sure? How do you do that?
Resyncing a specific part is easy, replicating to a spare a specific part is not. If the disk you want to replace was 100% made of parity data that would be easy, you do that with a resync after replacing the disk, maybe multiple resyncs region by region, but in your case it is not made of only parity data. Only raid3 and 4 separate parity data from actual data, raid6 instead finely interleaves them. If you are thinking about replacing a disk with a new one (full of zeroes) and then resyncing manually region by region, you will destroy your data. Because in those chunks where the new disk acts as "actual data" the parity will be recomputed based on your newly introduced zeroes, and it will overwrite the parity data you had on the good disks, making recovery impossible from that point on. You really need to do the replication to a spare as a single step, from the beginning to the end. You cannot use sync_min and sync_max for that purpose. I think... unless bitmaps really do some magic in this, flagging the newly introduced disk as more recent than parity data... but do they really do this? people correct me if I'm wrong.