Re: Use of WD20EARS with MDADM

On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 12:03 +1200, Richard Scobie wrote:
> "Each drive is put through extended burn-in testing with thermal cycling
> to ensure reliable operation."
>
> Which presumably helps weed out infant mortality cases. It is also
> interesting to note that while all the RE series drives have a spindle
> support bearing at both ends, only the 2TB desktop drive does.

Indeed.  Pretty standard manufacturing process to weed out the infant
mortality.  Interesting to find out that they don't bother with these
drives.  That might explain why my first one died after ~24 hours of
operation.  What still pisses me off is that it died so hard my bios
wouldn't even post with the thing plugged in, let alone let me read any
SMART data from it.