Re: reshape from raid5 to raid6 failed -- and backup file is gone?

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 15:26:13 -0700
Rich Rauenzahn <rrauenza@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > It is very odd that the backup file disappeared.  What is
> >   /.MEDIA/tmp
> > ?? Not a tmpfs filesystem I hope...
>
> No, a persistent filesystem on another disk -- with no autodelete
> scripts or anything.  Very very weird that it disappeared.   I saw it
> before I went to bed... was about 50MB if I recall.  Unless the fsck
> at boot removed it -- but I would imagine you make sure you fsync that
> file to disk before you proceed?   I think ./.MEDIA is ext4.

I don't fsync the directory containing the file, but I do fsync the file
quite regularly.
But if the system ran for even just one minute after the --grow started the
directory would have been flushed to disk so the absence of an fsync on the
directory cannot have been a problem... not that I'm convinced it could be a
problem anyway.

> > You could hack mdadm to assemble the array even without a backup file.
> > Get 'Grow_restart' to always return 0.
> >
> > Then most of your data should be assessible, but the could be a section in
> > the middle which is currupt.
>
> As long as fsck can bring it back to a consistent state, I'm ok with
> that.   But I would guess some file contents could be silently
> corrupt?

Yes, there could be silent corruption.  Or there might be no corruption.
If the backup file was about 50MB (which seems likely) then the total amount
of corruption should not exceed 50MB - though in an indexing block was lost
you could loose more than 50MB of a single file..

NeilBrown