Re: reshape from raid5 to raid6 failed -- and backup file is gone?

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 14:46:32 -0700
Rich Rauenzahn <rrauenza@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Rich Rauenzahn <rrauenza@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The system froze sometime in the middle of the night, and oddly... the
> > --backup-file I specified last night is missing.  Is there any reason
> > that mdadm would unlink it for a short span of time during the
> > reshape?
>
> I'm at the point now where I'm just looking for triage advice so I can
> work on it tonight. Most of the contents were backed up offsite, but a
> little bit out of date.  Nothing critical, but inconvenient, like
> recovery images for relative's systems.
>
> Do I kill it and start over, or is there any hope of recovering from
> the reshape?

It is very odd that the backup file disappeared.  What is
   /.MEDIA/tmp
?? Not a tmpfs filesystem I hope...

You could hack mdadm to assemble the array even without a backup file.
Get 'Grow_restart' to always return 0.

Then most of your data should be assessible, but the could be a section in
the middle which is currupt.

NeilBrown