Re: Suggestion needed for fixing RAID6

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mikael Abrahamsson" <swmike@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Janos Haar" <janos.haar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:18 PM
Subject: Re: Suggestion needed for fixing RAID6

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010, Janos Haar wrote:

I am just tested one of the badblock-hdds, and the bad blocks comes periodicaly, like a little and short scratch, and the drive can't correct these by write.

Oh, if you get write errors on the drive then you're in bigger trouble.

I am planning to replace all the defective drives, but first i need to rebuild the missing part. I don't care about wich is the problem, the first drive have 123 unredable sectors, and i have tried to rewrite one but not works.
This will goes to RMA, but first i need to solve the problem.

Maybe this is why the kernel kicsk it out...

Yes, a write error to the drive is a kick:able offence. What does smartctl say about the drives?

The smart healt is good. (not wondering...)
But the drive have some offline unc sectors and some pendings.

But anyway, the problem is still here, i want to rebuild the missing disk (prior to replace the badblocked drives one by one), but the kernel kicks out more 2 drive during the rebuild.

I don't have a good idea that assures your data, unfortunately. One way would be to dd the defective drives to working ones, but that will most likely cause you to have data loss on the defective sectors (since md has no idea that these sectors should be re-created from parity).

Exactly.
This is why i ask here. :-)
Because i don't want to make some KB errors on the array wich have all the needed information.

Any good idea?

Thanks a lot,
Janos

--