Re: Use of WD20EARS with MDADM

+1 Insightful.

This is a gem of a tip - so much so that I've archived the text of this as
I KNOW it will come in handy soon.

It may be been semi-off topic, but it is worth its weight in gold!

Thankyou!

https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Known_issues#Drives_which_perform_frequent_head_unloads_under_Linux

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.0/fdboot.img

> Mount the downloaded image file with "mount fdboot.img /mnt/floppy/ -o
> rw,loop"
>
> Copy DOS program into the floppy image.
>
> Add to your grub.conf file ...
>
> title FreeDOS - Boot Image
>     kernel memdisk
>     initrd fdboot.img
>
> Now reboot your system that does not have a floppy drive off the
> FreeDOS image and run the DOS program to make changes.  The only thing
> I can think of that might be a problem, is that you might have the
> drive attached to a SATA port that is not supported by the DOS program
> or something like that.
>
> This is what I use to do BIOS and other firmware updates, that Linux
> does not have a tool for.
>
> Mailed
> LeeT
>
> P.S. Sorry for the Off Topic post, but I hope it helps.
> --

Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz@xxxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.crc.id.au