Re: Use of WD20EARS with MDADM

Bill Davidsen wrote:

I'd love to find some real data, anecdotal stories about older drives
are not overly helpful. Clearly there is a trade-off between energy
saving, response, and durability, I just don't have any data from a
large population of new (green) drives.

I can add some very limited, (6 drives) observations on the 2GB RE version - WD2002FYPS.

These are green drives and have been running continuously in an md RAID5 for eight months without any problems and no drive settings have been altered. This array is idle except for a nightly rsync session for an hour or so.

Looking at the SMART data, load cycle count, is 23862 which sounds like a lot, but the current VALUE entry is 193 (and started at 200 8 months ago) and the THRESHOLD value is 0.

So, if I am interpreting this trend correctly, the THRESHOLD value will be reached in about 682,000 load cycles and about 228 months.

Regards,

Richard