Re: metadata and / and grub-static

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 9:31 AM, John Robinson
<john.robinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 05/04/2010 16:52, Mark Knecht wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> John,
>>   Thanks for the summary. It's succinct and covered the info I needed
>> this weekend.
>
> In which case, apologies for not answering until Monday afternoon :-)

A little struggle on my side is good for the brain. forces me to read
and learn a I try to do. Yeah, frustrating once in awhile, but a good
thing none the less.

>>   One question comes to mind. I'm about to build a Gentoo machine
>> that will run a number of copies of Windows in VirtualBox VMs. The
>> system will be nice, reliable RAID1 for all of Linux, and then 'fast'
>> RAID0 on different drives for the VM data. As there will be nothing
>> involved with booting Linux on this RAID - just the VM data. I assume
>> that there's no problem assembling RAID0 after the boot process has
>> essentially completed, and that this RAID could use any form of
>> metadata?
>
> Yep. You could do this with /home /usr /var too. I expect Gentoo's init
> scripts will run mdadm for you before mounting the other filesystems; the
> other distros generally do.

Yes, I can turn them on if I choose with rc-update add. I haven't done
that yet as I need to do some reading on that also.

Currently I'm focused on understanding benchmarking a bit better -
iozone, bonnie++ - to see what I currently have with my new RAID1.

Cheers,
Mark