Re: metadata and / and grub-static

On 05/04/2010 16:52, Mark Knecht wrote:
[...]
John,
   Thanks for the summary. It's succinct and covered the info I needed
this weekend.

In which case, apologies for not answering until Monday afternoon :-)

   One question comes to mind. I'm about to build a Gentoo machine
that will run a number of copies of Windows in VirtualBox VMs. The
system will be nice, reliable RAID1 for all of Linux, and then 'fast'
RAID0 on different drives for the VM data. As there will be nothing
involved with booting Linux on this RAID - just the VM data. I assume
that there's no problem assembling RAID0 after the boot process has
essentially completed, and that this RAID could use any form of
metadata?

Yep. You could do this with /home /usr /var too. I expect Gentoo's init scripts will run mdadm for you before mounting the other filesystems; the other distros generally do.

Cheers,

John.