Re: Array 'freezes' for some time after large writes?

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 10:47 AM, Jim Duchek <jim.duchek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well it appears that I can absolutely reproduce it 100% of the time by
> copying a large (>1 gig) video file and then immediately playing it.
> It seems to hit the freeze on just about the same frame every time,
> and playing it seems to be necessary (it doesn't freeze if I just do
> the copy and go about my business).  Possibly an issue w/disk buffers?
>  You're having this happen even if the disk in question is not in an
> array?  If so perhaps it's an SATA issue and not a RAID one, and we
> should move this discussion accordingly.  I reproduced your steps and
> I'm seeing pretty much the same thing, although not quite hitting 100%
> wa (although I'm guessing it would if I shut everything else down --
> Got a full desktop running).
>
> I'm using a Biostar T41-A7 mobo, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 Yorkfield
> 2.66GHz 4MB L2, and 3 Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAJS drives
> and 1 WD5002ABYS.  I note that the 3 older drives claim using ATA-7
> and the newer one says ATA-8. Any similarities?
>
> Jim

Intex DX58SO motherboard
6GB
i7 920
3 WD10EARS green 1TB (4K/sector)
nvidia 9500GT
2.6.32-gentoo kernel

In my setup (and being Gentoo based where we build everything from
scratch) I see this mostly when building code. I haven't copied any
large files yet but I'm not surprised at your report as my dmesg error
is about writes being blocked so that makes sense.

Closest similarity would be both motherboards are based on Intel
chipsets. SATA support is in the South Bridge.

Your motherboard chipset

North Bridge 	Intel G41
South Bridge 	Intel ICH7

My motherboard chipset

North Bridge  	Intel X58
South Bridge 	Intel ICH10R

You did see the same message about writes being block, correct?
Nothing else as of yet?

- Mark