Re: Sysfs update frequency

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 14:32:55 -0700
Justin Maggard <jmaggard10@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've noticed on recent kernels that /sys/block/md?/md/sync_completed
> seems to rarely get updated.  What is the expected update interval?
> For me, it seems to only update about once every 6% or so during the
> resync.  Of course, /proc/mdstat has the actual current progress.

The expected update time is every 6% - actually 1/16 which is 6.25%.

sync_completed includes a guarantee that all blocks before this point really
have been processed.  The number in /proc/mdstat is less precise.  The much
of the array has been resynced, but due to the possibility of out-of-order
completion of writes they may not be a contiguous series of blocks.

Providing the guarantee (which is needed for externally-managed metadata)
requires briefly stalling the resync, so I didn't want to do it more often.
I could possibly make it time-bases instead of size-based though.

Is this a problem for you?

NeilBrown