Re: RAID1 On 3 Drives

I am glad I asked! Thanks for all the info. Now my question next is if
I am creating a 3 disk raid with a 1 disk spare, do I need to use any
special 'mdadm' parameters besides what u see below for /boot (Grub)?

# mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-devices=3 /dev/sda1
/dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 --spare-devices=1 /dev/sdd1

Anything else I should add to the above command for my /boot partition?

On 3/13/10, Joachim Otahal <Jou@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 12:06 AM, Carlos Mennens<carloswill@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>  I was told by my distributions Wiki page that Grub doesn't support
>>  RAID 5 or RAID 6 so I would need to create a volume with three disks
>>  and set the level to RAID 1:
>>
>>  # mdadm --create /dev/md1 --level=1 --raid-devices=3 /dev/sda1
>>  /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 --spare-devices=1 /dev/sdd1
>>
>>  Is this possible to mirror three identical drive partitions? I was
>>  talking to some co-workers and was told that I could only pair two
>>  drives on RAID 1.
>>
>>  Can anyone please help me understand this?
>
> /boot must be RAID1 (or a normal partition), everything else can be
> RAIDwhatever. Grub has no problems reading /boot from a mirrors.
>
> It is possible to make RAID1 to use more than two drives and keep the all
> active. In your case it is a matter of "believe" whether a spare is better
> or actually using all four actively in your raid, I prefer the latter.
> I have heavily tested more than two only with files via loopback yet, two
> drive, three drives, four drives and more. It does work, the testfile
> generated out of urandom kept the correct hash value throughout all my sick
> testings.
> The quick test with three SATA drives worked too, but it was just for the
> fun to see whether grub pukes or works (works if you don't forget the grub
> setup for drive 2, 3 etc).
> My plan is: Use RAID1 with 4 drives (quad-mirroring) for /boot or / and
> raid10 or raid5 for the data upon my next linux server upgrade.
>
> Joachim Otahal
>

> --

Sent from my mobile device