Re: RAID1 On 3 Drives

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:31:01 +0300
"Majed B." <majedb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Neil,
>
> Since when was this possible? I always thought that it had to have an
> even number of disks.

md has never imposed a 2-drive restriction on raid1.  That would be fairly
pointless.

Requiring an even number of devices would also be pointless.

The term "mirror" is possibly a cause of confusion as it suggests an original
and a copy.  It also suggests that the copy is reflected in some way.
Neither of these are true.
RAID1 stores multiple copies of the same data.  All copies are equal.  You can
have as many or as few of them as you like.  1, 2, 3, 4, ....
NeilBrown