Re: Reshaping the length of devices

--- On Fri, 12/3/10, Asdo <asdo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Asdo <asdo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Reshaping the length of devices
> To: "linux-raid" <linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Friday, 12 March, 2010, 15:15
> I am wondering... is it possible to
> reshape the length of the underlying devices with MD raid?
>
> I mean like in the case one buys larger disks: after moving
> the raid partitions to the new disks half of them is still
> free. So one might want to extend the raid partitions to the
> end of the disks instead of creating another array in the
> free space.
>
> I have searched the linux-raid mailing list history but I
> couldn't find this topic.
>
> Thanks in advance

As long as the size of ALL underlying devices have increased you can --grow=MAX to the a multiple of the now smallest drive.

http://linux.die.net/man/8/mdadm

This value can be set with --grow for RAID level 1/4/5/6. If the array was created with a size smaller than the currently active drives, the extra space can be accessed using --grow. The size can be given as max  which means to choose the largest size that fits on all current drives.

N: Jon Hardcastle
E: Jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
'Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own.'

Please note, I am phasing out jd_hardcastle AT yahoo.com and replacing it with jon AT eHardcastle.com