possible bus loading problem during resync

I'm working on 2 systems that are mainly for running vdr. I've had these running somewhat for awhile with raid. But a couple nights ago as I was quitting for the night, I noticed one of the computers drive light staying on. I had just made some changes to xine and didn't know if something had crashed. Turned on the TV and found the video was freezing for 10-20secs every 10-20secs. Logging in using putty and winscp I found it very sluggish to respond.Starting top I found it was doing the regular array check/resync. The process was using about 64% cpu and cpu was staying at idle speed (1000Mhz). These computers use Athlon64 x2 cpu's. A problem with the AN2 socket systems is that when the cpu is throttled back, it also slows the bus. This has been found to be a problem on boards with integrated graphics when using nvidia's vdpau for hardware video decoding because they use system ram. The fix is to set the lower speed limit to 1800Mhz and/or change the up_threshold to ~50% . However, I am using PCIe video cards and so up till now have not had a problem.

I stopped vdr, but putty and winscp where still sluggish. This tells me that it is loading the bus so much that both the video card and the network is effected. it would also effect any tuner cards interfering with any recording that may be going on at the time. I change the up_threshold from the default 95% to 50% which should kick the speed up when it's syncing. But I'm not sure that will be enough. Could there be some other setting that is wrong raising the priority of the process? Seems like this would be a problem for any system having raid maintenance bring the system to its knees. The eta to finish was 75 minutes.