Re: What RAID type and why?

Mark Knecht wrote:
On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Guy Watkins <linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>
}
} At a minimum I would build a 3-disk raid 6.  raid 6 does a lot of i/o
} which may be a problem.

If he only needs 3 drives I would recommend RAID1.  Can still loose 2 drives
and you don't have the RAID6 I/O overhead.

Also, you said your data is important.  If so, you need a backup solution!
2 copies with 1 off-site.  Maybe alternate between the 2 each day or week.

How much data per day?  How much data during the next 3 years?

Guy

OK - good points.

The 'data' is very important to me. Full disclosure (and it well could
make a difference I suppose) but the stock data is really just part of
a medium sized VMWare image on the order of 10GB. VMWare is running on
Gentoo and hosting Windows XP currently, Windows 7 later possibly.
Windows is the only platform that has programs that currently do what
I need. (And my trading partner is completely Windows based so until I
convert him to Linux Windows must be part of the recipe.)

Anyway, I try to keep my VMWare images below 10GB so that I can tar
them up once a week and write them to a dual-layer DVD for backup.
Once a month I move one to the safe deposit box at the bank. Otherwise
I keep three in the house at the far end in a fireproof box. (Although
high temp might damage them if the whole house goes up. Who knows...)

Several thoughts about that, if you encrypt the tar you can burn another copy and stick it in with the CDs in your car. Which hopefully is not parked in an attached garage. And look at dvdisaster. It's a software ECC which gives you a much improved chance to recover data if you have issues with it.

Of course, if you have a trusted friend you can just do incremental over the net, unless you change all 10GB somehow. Makes for a slightly ugly recovery.

I finally went to Blu-Ray for full backup, DVD for incremental. I did do a "test once" and it worked fine to recover everything.

So, Gentoo hosts VMWare. VMWare maps a logical 10GB Windows C: drive
into a bunch of 2GB files and the stock data it typically a single
file for each stock where the file size approaches 100MB. I have
little or no control in terms of how that 100MB file is placed on the
drive.

I haven't a clue what that really means in terms of disk access from a
Linux point of view.

Daily backups are just my programming. They are incremental and just
sent to another computer on the network, and then also covered in the
VMWare backup at the end of the week.

Replying to Asdo - I'm hoping to use a more or less standard desktop
or server motherboard with 6-8 SATA ports dedicating 3-6 ports to this
RAID interface and then using Linux software RAID and no hardware RAID
controllers. Is this unreasonable in your opinion for the work flow
I'm describing using VMWare?

I'm concerned about any RAID hardware that leaves me stranded if the
controller dies.

In that case you start to look at server grade hardware, big UPS, or multiple systems doing realtime mirroring. If you want data center reliability you need data center paranoia and complexity. Decide what you need, and people will help you get there. When I ran the usenet servers for SBC we had a backup data center on another tectonic plate, think about how safe you want to be.

Other thought: have a backup off-site which captures a few days worth of new data, and do incrementals often. Worst case you have to recompute starting from a backup and whatever new data came in since.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 "We can't solve today's problems by using the same thinking we