Re: Removing drives

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Timothy D. Lenz <tlenz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 3/7/2010 12:33 AM, Michael Evans wrote:

>>> I don't need to combine the two large arrays. They are mostly for storing
>>> recordings for vdr. With vdr, the storage folders are video0, video1,
>>> video2,... and you provide the path to video0 with the others being in
>>> the
>>> same parent folder. When it records, it sends the file to the folder with
>>> the most free space and if that is not video0, then video0 gets a link to
>>> where it really is.
>>>

>>> I don't understand where "For boot make SURE you use either -e 0.90 OR -e
>>> 1.0 ." comes in. When I partitioned the drives, I set them all to type
>>> fd.
>>> and made the first partition of each drive bootable. To create the arrays
>>> used:
>>> sudo mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda1
>>> /dev/sdb1
>>> --spare-devices=1 /dev/sdc1
>>> sudo mdadm --create /dev/md1 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda2
>>> /dev/sdb2
>>> --spare-devices=1 /dev/sdc2
>>>
>>> And to format them:
>>> sudo mkfs.ext3 /dev/md0
>>> sudo mkswap /dev/md1
>>>
>>> Latter I used grow to change from a spare to a 3 way mirror.
>>>

>> Please, reply to ALL or manually add the list back to the message.
>>
>> You'll want the two types I specified for any boot device since it
>> then appears to be a normal partition that happens to have an exact
>> copy on another partition, except for a little bit at the end which is
>> where the raid metadata is.
>>
>> For that same reason, using mdadm 1.1 or 1.2 would be preferable for
>> any devices which are not directly used for boot.  Those place the
>> data at the beginning thus ensuring that any set of layering
>> (raid/lvm/filesystems) gets unpacked in the correct order since there
>> is no question how they are stacked.
>>
>> Also, I don't really see how that changes the directions for getting
>> your smaller drive out of the system so that you can proceed.  It
>> sounds like you'll probably be able to adapt the steps to suit your
>> needs and you've not actually told any of us what you're confused
>> about or still have a problem with.
>> --
>>

> First, with the other list I'm on, simply doing a reply replies back to the
> list. This one for some reason forwards the responders email for the reply
> to. I was in a hurry and forgot to put the right address back
>
> Next, you have now confused me with the part:
>> You'll want the two types I specified for any boot device since it
>> then appears to be a normal partition that happens to have an exact
> Two types of what? To make both drives of the boot array bootable I have
> been doing:
>  sudo grub
>  grub>device (hd0) /dev/sda
>  grub>root (hd0,0)
>  grub>setup (hd0)
>
>  grub>device (hd0) /dev/sdb
>  grub>root (hd0,0)
> [...]

Yes, those are switches to the mdadm command; PLEASE RTFM: man mdadm .

After reading the full manual (yeah, there's a 'fun' expansion too)
most of the easy questions will already be answered.

Grub2 / grub 2.0 / 'grub not legacy' , as I've stated, wants to see
version 0.90 metadata for /boot .

Installing grub is off topic for this mailing list, but you should be
able to find documentation in the places you should expect to look.

I have not yet experienced booting grub2 from mirrored devices, but
the above information is what I have gleaned from various previous
posts to the two related mailing lists.

Remember to read the f* manuals.