Re: emergency call for help: raid5 fallen apart

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 8:45 AM, John Robinson
<john.robinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 25/02/2010 08:05, Giovanni Tessore wrote:
> [...]
>>
> I do think we urgently need the hot reconstruction/recovery feature, so
> failing drives can be recovered to fresh drives with two sources of data,
> i.e. both the failing drive and the remaining drives in the array, giving us
> two chances of recovering every sector.

I was one of those 4 cases in the part month.  I would have certainly
benefited from this when I tried to replace a failing drive on my old
raid-5.  But  I think actually the redundancy you desired can be
achieved by running a raid-6 at the degraded mode (with 1 missing
drive).

Do I miss something?  If this is the case, shouldn't we all
be doing this instead of using the raid-5?

> Cheers,
>
> John.

DS