Feature Request

Hi Everybody,

I would like to propose a few probably hard-to-implement features to mdraid.

Background:
Nowadays harddisk drives, I only talk about ATA/SATA drives (SCSI
devices are too expensive for me), do their own error correction.  Most
of them also have a feature called ERC (Error Recovery Control), where
you can set timeouts for read/write error correction.  Desktop drives
are preset to run their error recovery to its fullest extend, not
reacting while this procedure is active.  RAID-edition/enterprise disks
are normally set to start error recovery, but report back a media error
after 7 seconds of unsuccessful error recovery - here this timeout
"happens".

Now imagine any RAID with some kind of redundancy, reading/writing
data.  One of the disks finds out "I cannot correctly read/write the
requested sector", starts its error correction, hits the respective
ERC-timeout and reports back a media error or unrecoverable error.  Now
mdraid would drop the disk.

But actually the data of the sector can be recreated through the
existing redundancy.  Wouldn't it be a smart thing if the mdraid
recreates the sector and just tried to write it again?  And after a good
amount of failed retries it may well drop the disk.

Prerequisites:
- upon assembling/creating of the array:
  - mdraid needs to find out if the used devices rely on (s)ata block
devices
  - if it does, the ERC-timeouts for reading/writing operations on each
device need to be set, as this feature is volatile (gets reset to
factory defaults upon power-on-reset).
  - if successful, some flag indicating the enabled feature shall be set
- error handling needs to be updated with above described "intelligence"
for devices, that have the ERC-feature set

This is a request for comments (and of course this feature).

All the best,
Stefan Hübner