Re: [[Patch mdadm] 2/5] Move the files mdmon opens into /dev/ to support handoff after pivotroot

also sprach Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@xxxxxxxxx> [2010.02.07.1007 +1300]:
> This comment makes me see Neil's argument in a different light,
> (hopefully I am not mischaracterizing it), but essentially we are
> waiting for the standards to catch up with this new class of
> program. FUSE, CUSE, and mdmon belong to a class of programs that
> move traditionally exclusive kernel space functionality to
> userspace. Debian's /lib/init/rw looks to be a response to this
> grey area of the standards (not that I have any familiarity with
> the LSB).

I have not read the full thread for lack of time, but I would like
to chime in that I favour user-space over kernel-space any day: it
makes for stabler systems, better interfaces, and easier upgrades
— even though it's definitely more work for the distro maintainers.

So mdmon seems like a good idea, even though some details might need
to be worked out to everyone's satisfaction yet.

I agree with Dan that this trend is new and that slow-moving
standards like the FHS have yet to catch up. But they cannot catch
up if distros don't explore the field. Debian's latest move in this
exploration was indeed /lib/init/rw, but it's questionable, not only
because it's a tmpfs, which makes it unusable for e.g. md bitmaps
— unless we invented a place that moved to persistent storage as
early as possible, in a way that would make it accessible early
during the next boot. But now I am diverting the topic…

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@xxx>      Related projects:
: :'  :  proud Debian developer               http://debiansystem.info

"there are two major products that come out of berkeley: lsd and unix.
 we don't believe this to be a coincidence."
                                                 -- jeremy s. anderson