Re: If your using large Sata drives in raid 5/6 ....

Numbers are a funny game.

Sure, there is a 1000x increase in the chance of an error occurring
*somewhere* on the drive - as we have 1000x more space. What you need to
keep in perspective is that although building a 2Tb RAID5 from 3 x 1Tb
drives may seem more likely to have problems than a 2Gb RAID5 from 3 x 1Gb
drives - however if you build a 2Tb RAID5 from 1Gb drives then you would
probably increase the likelihood of a failure to around the same levels.

>From what I read of the article, it seems like more of a sales pitch and
although it has what seem to be good points, they seem to ignore the fact
of scaling. ie which is more likely to fail horribly, 3 x 1Tb drives or
3000 x 1Gb drives or even 300 x 10Gb drives?

Data storage always seems to be a minefield of misinformation and sales
pitches masked as information - however the best practice is to use RAID to
hopefully minimise downtime if a drive fails, but keep a copy of your data
elsewhere that you have easy access to if you need it. After this, it
doesn't really matter if you have a single drive failure - or even a double
drive failure in the case of RAID6.

If you have more failures and the array crashes horribly, then theres not
much you can do but rebuild and restore.

Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz@xxxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.crc.id.au
Phone: (03) 9001 6090 - 0412 935 897