Re: Why does one get mismatches?

Jon Hardcastle wrote:
--- On Thu, 28/1/10, Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@xxxxxx> wrote:

From: Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Why does one get mismatches?
To: linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, 28 January, 2010, 20:24
"Tirumala Reddy Marri" <tmarri@xxxxxxxx>
writes:

I just tried and miss-match count is zero.
Interesting, is XOR engine
doing something wrong ? . Then I ran a test where I
raw-write the file
to /dev/md0. Then did the raw-read for the same size.
In this case XOR
matched as expected. Then I failed a drive using
"mdadm -f /dev/md0
/dev/sda". Then I read the same size data again from
/dev/md0. And
checksum matches too. What is this mean XOR engine is doing right thing. But
"chec/repair"
test is not functioning properly with XOR-engine ?

Or is this something to do with  how the buffers
are handled ? may they
are cached ?

-Marri
No idea. But if everything works without the XOR engine and
gives
mismatches with then I would think there is a software or
hardware error
there and not in the cable or disks.

MfG
        Goswin
linux-raid" in

i think my RAM is fecked - does that sound like a possible cause? memtest86 gives PAGES of red errors when run but the POST gives nothing and the machine boots.... it has 512MB

i have some more on order as a speculative..

I would bet that your RAM is broken. Any errors indicate bad RAM, no errors indicate no persistent error. Scrap that RAM. More will make the machine faster, too.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 "We can't solve today's problems by using the same thinking we