Re: Array over arrays - how to autoassemble correctly?

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 06:32:57PM +0000, Kristleifur Daðason wrote:
Hi all,

I'm running a RAID-60 array with mdadm. There are two RAID6 arrays,
/dev/md/d0 and d1, and then a RAID0 "meta-array" over that,
/dev/md/tank.

What happens on boot is that the d0 and d1 arrays are assembled, but
the tank array isn't - Ubuntu drops me to a root shell because it
couldn't find the tank partition for mounting from fstab. However, I
just have to do a simple 'mdadm --assemble --scan', and the tank array
pops up instantly and everything is fine.

How do I instruct mdadm to wait for d0 and d1 and do kind of a second
assembly pass to construct tank over them?

/proc/mdstat, output of 'mdadm --detail --scan' and
/etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf are included. I hope that's enough background
information.

I tested it again, "mdadm --assemble --scan" is able to start stacked
arrays correctly either with a configuration similar to yours or with no
configuration at all !!!
Maybe it is due to how ubuntu tries to assemble your array, i would
guess through udev rules.
Maybe the rules are triggered for real devices (/dev/sd*) and not for
/dev/md*, but im not running ubuntu, so i have no way to know.

Regards,
L.