Re: raid10 How do I tell what side of the mirror a disk is on?

Rick Bragg <lists@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I recently posted a question to find out how to tell what is sda, b, c,
> etc... and I am now using smartctl to get the serial numbers and all is
> really great.  Thanks everyone for that info!
>
> Another puzzle is with raid10, there are 2 used in a stripe, then that
> stripe is mirrored with the other 2.  My question is how can I tell
> "what 2 disks can fail?"  In other words, how can I tell for example if
> sda and b are stiped? and that c and d are a mirror of a and b?  How can
> I see what is happening with that?  Is there a way to tell?
>
> Thanks
> Rick

Does it matter? If one disk fails you know the next disk failure has a
33+% chance of data loss and knowing which disk will be critical doesn't
change that.

MfG
        Goswin

PS: why not set up a raid over /dev/ramX with the same option of your
real raid, fail some disks and see when it breaks down.