Re: Read errors on raid5 ignored, array still clean .. then disaster !!

Giovanni Tessore wrote:
I didn't setup smart monitoring... Luca is right.
But I dont like the idea that md relies on another tool, that could be not installed or correctly configured, to warn the user on potential critical situations which involve directly itself.

From the logs, it results that it did a "check" on md3 the 4 january (first read errors at beginning of december, failure of other disk 18 january); no read error occurred.
Looks like it did not help much :(
Maybe I was just very unluky

It's strange... quite unlucky I'd say...
Maybe the check needs to be run more frequently, like weekly.
(Asdo taking notes... :-D)
I also am not expert of this kind of statistics.
FWIW I have seen two hardware raid controllers, and they do the scrub weekly by default. I don't know if they also run SMART tests.

Also is it possible that you experienced an electricity surge or a physical shock on the computer?

Obviously smart checks also help.

Good luck
Asdo