Re: Question about raid robustness when disk fails

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Ryan Wagoner <rswagoner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Goswin von Brederlow
> <goswin-v-b@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> Tim Bock <jtbock@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>>       I built a raid-1 + lvm setup on a Dell 2950 in December 2008.  The OS
>>> disk (ubuntu server 8.04) is not part of the raid.  Raid is 4 disks + 1
>>> hot spare (all raid disks are sata, 1TB Seagates).
>>>
>>>       Worked like a charm for ten months, and then had some kind of disk
>>> problem in October which drove the load average to 13.  Initially tried
>>> a reboot, but system would not come all of the way back up.  Had to boot
>>> single-user and comment out the RAID entry.  System came up, I manually
>>> failed/removed the offending disk, added the RAID entry back to fstab,
>>> rebooted, and things proceeded as I would expect.  Replaced offending
>>> drive.
>>
>> If a drive goes crazy without actualy dying then linux can spend a
>> long time trying to get something from the drive. The driver chip can
>> go crazy or the driver itself can have a bug and lockup. All those
>> things are below the raid level and if they halt your system then raid
>> can not do anything about it.
>>
>> Only when a drive goes bad and the lower layers report an error to the
>> raid level can raid cope with the situation, remove the drive and keep
>> running. Unfortunately there seems to be a loose correlation between
>> cost of the controler (chip) and the likelyhood of a failing disk
>> locking up the system. I.e. the cheap onboard SATA chips on desktop
>> systems do that more often than expensive server controler. But that
>> is just a loose relationship.
>>
>> MfG
>>        Goswin
>>
>> PS: I've seen hardware raid boxes lock up too so this isn't a drawback
>> of software raid.
>> --
>>

> You need to be using drives designed for RAID use with TLER (time
> limited error recovery). When the drive encounters an error instead of
> attempting to read the data for an extended period of time it just
> gives up so the RAID can take care of it.
>
> For example I had a SAS drive start to fail on a hardware RAID server.
> Every time it hit a bad spot on the drive you could tell the system
> would pause for a brief second as only that drive light was on. The
> drive gave up and the RAID determined the correct data. It ran fine
> like this until I was able to replace the drive the next day.
>
> Ryan
> --

Why doesn't the kernel issue a pessimistic alternate 'read' path (on
the other drives needed to obtain the data) if the ideal method is
late.  It would be more useful for time-sensitive/worst case buffering
to be able to customize when to 'give up' dynamically.