Re: Thrashing a drive to flush out problems..

On 2010 Jan 25, at 04:26, Jon Hardcastle wrote:
Hi guys can anyone recommend a tool for thrashing the b*ll*cks of a drive in way that isn't destructive to the data?

I was thinking badblocks with -w but it is destructive and i dont want to do anything that will potentially lower the integrity of my array? (Even tho it is raid6 :) )

There must be some bonnie esk tool that will read/write every combination to every block but keep the data safe after to flush out any sector issues etc.

Here are a couple of utilities I've used in the past:

- seeker: How fast is your disk?

  <http://www.linuxinsight.com/how_fast_is_your_disk.html>

"With a little bit of torturing, and some fun on the way, find out how fast your hard disk drive really is."

- thrash - hard disk stress tester with random seek speed statistics

  <http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~greg/thrash/>

"thrash is intended to exercise a hard disk seek mechanism and perform a random seek speed benchmark. It is largely targeted at new harddisks that should be exercised to encourage early failure (i.e. assuming a bathtub curve for failures)."

Also, as mentioned in the first article, you can use hdparm to test sequential access.

I believe all of these utilities can be used read-only, but I can't remember for sure.