Re: Swapping a disk without degrading an array

There's a technique called active spare, and is already available on
some hardware RAID controllers. It keeps the hot spare in sync with
the array, such that in an event of a disk failure, the spare kicks-in
immediately without wasting time for a resync.

I think what you're proposing is similar to the following scenario:
array0: (assume raid5): disk0, disk1, disk2, disk3(spare)
array1: (raid1): disk0, disk3

Though I'm not sure if it's feasible to nest raids or have a disk to
be a member of 2 arrays at the same time.

I think it was proposed before, but I donno about its priority.

--
       Majed B.