Re: Why does one get mismatches?

--- On Thu, 21/1/10, Farkas Levente <lfarkas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Farkas Levente <lfarkas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Why does one get mismatches?
> To: "Steven Haigh" <netwiz@xxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: "Asdo" <asdo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Thursday, 21 January, 2010, 11:48
> On 01/21/2010 11:52 AM, Steven Haigh
> wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 09:08:42 +0100, Asdo<asdo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> Russ<bruss@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> >> Might that be a problem of the disks/controllers?
> >> Jon and Steven, what hardware do you have?
> >
> > I'm running some fairly old hardware on this
> particular server. It's a
> > dual P3 1Ghz.
> >
> > After running a repair on /dev/md2, I now see:
> > # cat /sys/block/md2/md/mismatch_cnt
> > 1536
> >
> > Again, no smart errors, nothing to indicate a disk
> problem at all :(
> >
> > As this really keeps killing the machine and it is a
> live system - the
> > only thing I can really think of doing is to break the
> RAID and just rsync
> > the drives twice daily :\
>
> the same happened with many people. and we all hate it
> since it cause a
> huge load at all weekend on most of our servers:-(
> according to redhat it's not a bug:-(
>
> --
>    Levente
>
>      "Si vis pacem para bellum!"
> --
> linux-raid" in
> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

Well i am running a Semperon based desktop system that has 4 in built sata and 2 IDE, and 2 PCI-E controller cards exposing 2 sata ports each.

I have off the IDE 2 320GB HDD's that is split across 3 md's boot/swap/main. Only the Main is 'check'ed/repaired. Very rarely have a problem here!

On the Sata's I have 7 HDD's of varying size(4x500, 2x750, 1x1TB) and makes(Samsung, Hitachi, Seagate) strung together to form a now raid6 (raid5 until a couple of weeks ago). On top of that i have a VG split into ~6 LV's and in some of those i have mount SquashFS filesystems. until i moved the drive order around at the weekend for access issues. I didn't really have any problems - except the occasional issue - I scrub it weekly currently.

BUT I have only just converted from raid5 to 6 and probably not run that many checks since so it could be related to that!