Re: Why does one get mismatches?

--- On Wed, 20/1/10, Brett Russ <bruss@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Brett Russ <bruss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Why does one get mismatches?
> To: linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Wednesday, 20 January, 2010, 14:19
> On 01/19/2010 05:04 AM, Jon
> Hardcastle wrote:
> > I kicked off a check/repair cycle on my machine after
> i moved the
> > phyiscal ordering of my drives around and I am now on
> my second
> > check/repair cycle and it has kept finding
> mismatches.
> >
> > Is it correct that the mismatch value after a repair
> was needed
> > should equal the value present after a check? What if
> it doesn't?
> > What does it mean if another check STILL reveals
> mismatches?
> >
> > I had something similar after i reshaped from raid 5
> to 6 i had to
> > run check/repair/check/repair several times before i
> got my 0.
>
> I think to diagnose this you'll need to show us the results
> of running 'mdadm -E /dev/[hs]dX#' (i.e. /dev/sda2) for each
> member device in the md device you're trying to assemble
> *before* attempting to start the md device.  This will
> report on the state of that specific member device
> (partition) and will show why a resync/repair would/would
> not be needed.
>
> Note that if your md device is not in a read-only mode that
> the member states may be changing underneath you as you run
> the above command. Therefore, you should either stop the
> device then run the commands, or at least have the device in
> a read-only mode first.
>
> -BR
>
> --
> linux-raid" in
> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

I will gather the information you require, but so it is clear it is a a echo 'check' that is kicking off the ultimate mismatch not from boot.

Also, I have never marked the array as read-only whilst i have done it historically - I can but never have and this is a data storage array and isn't actually(shouldn't be) in use really whilst i am not there (can that be tested?!) the main OS drive md3 runs and completes without a problem..

N: Jon Hardcastle
E: Jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
'Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own.'

Please note, I am phasing out jd_hardcastle AT yahoo.com and replacing it with jon AT eHardcastle.com