non-fresh data unavailable bug

Slightly related to my last message here Re:non-fresh behavior, we have seen cases where the following happens:
* healthy 2 disk raid1 (disks A & B) incurs a problem with disk B
* disk B is removed, unit is now degraded
* replacement disk C is added; recovery from A to C begins
* during recovery, disk A incurs a brief lapse in connectivity. At this point C is still up yet only has a partial copy of the data. * a subsequent assemble operation on the raid1 results in disk A being kicked out as non-fresh, yet C is allowed in.

This presents quite a data-unavailability problem and basically requires recognizing the situation and hand assembling the array with disk A (only) first, then adding C back in. Unfortunately this situation is hard to reproduce and we don't have a dump of the 'mdadm --examine' output for it yet.

Any thoughts on this while we try to get a better reproduction case?

Thanks,
Brett