Re: Linear mode: array size is less than sum of sizes

On 06/01/2010 22:14, Alessandro Baretta wrote:
On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 9:06 PM, John Robinson
<john.robinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...] If you're going to do this I can't help thinking you should
duplicate the real partition table, showing the partition starting on sector
63, so you want 63 extra sectors, not 16002.
[...]
You were right. No way to get the Windows bootloader to even try
starting up Windows unless the windows partition is exactly at the
safe offset from as it is in the original drive.

I had a feeling it might; I think there's another copy of the partition description inside the partition somewhere, at least involved in the boot process. Not sure though. You may also have problems if you don't have the right drivers to match the virtual environment in your Windows startup.

Anyway, you could still have a go at concatenating two partitions with dmsetup.

Cheers,

John.