Re: Alignment of RAID on specific boundary

Khelben Blackstaff wrote:

> Hello Mr. Rees and thank you for replying.
>
> I have read this post and it is very good but it mentions alignment
> of the partitions using special CHS values and LVM/ext4 options.

Yes, and that seems to be the only way to align partitions to a 128k
boundary. You do need to use such rules to create aligned partitions.

Then, you need to align RAID created from such partitions to 128k Blocks, by
setting the chunk-size to 128k: "mdadm --chunk=128k" ( well, a multiple of
that, anyway ).

And, then, align LVM ( with the --dataalignment option for pvcreate ) and
the Filesystem ( with the -E stripe-width= to the mkfs command ) to such
boundaries as well. That applies to ext3 AND ext4 filesystems AFAIK.

> My partitions and both LUKS/LVM are aligned properly (at least i think
> they are). I am worried about the alignment of RAID itself.

On that link I read this comment:

	If your SSD has an 128k erase block size, and you are creating the file
	system with the default 4k block size, you just have to specify a strip
	width when you create the file system, like so:

	# mke2fs -t ext4 -E stripe-width=32,resize=500G /dev/ssd/root

So, to align your Raid to the SSD boundary, you need to use the "stripe-
with" parameter while creating the filesystem. Assuming the partition start
has been set to a 128k boundary as commented before.

--
Antonio Perez