Re: raid0 not growable?

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Kristleifur Daðason
<kristleifur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 11:54 PM, Neil Brown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 23:28:37 +0000
>> Kristleifur Daðason <kristleifur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Current chunksize is 256 and metadata is 1.1. So it's just a "mdadm
>>> --create /dev/md_bigraid0 --level=0 --raid-devices=2 --metadata=1.1
>>> --chunksize=256 /dev/md_raid6a /dev/md_raid6b", right?
>>
>> Yes... there is a possible complication though.
>> With 1.1 metadata mdadm reserves some space between the end of the metadata
>> and the start of the data for a bitmap - even for raid0 which cannot have
>> a bitmap.  The amount of space reserved is affected by the size of the
>> devices.
>> So it is possible that the "data offset" will be different.
>> You should check the data offset before and after.  If it is different, we
>> will have to hack mdadm to allow you to set the data offset manually.
>
> ... I believe I am guaranteed an identical bitmap size and hence an identical data offset.
>
> And in theory, this case is closed. Thank you, all.

Yep, it worked great. We built the new raid0 array over the old one,
and did a "fsck.jfs -n" dry-run over the filesystem. Still there,
clean as a whistle. Next was a quick "mount -o remount,resize /tank"
which grew the JFS filesystem in a second or two.

Very quick and painless. For my purposes, I consider raid0 arrays to
be growable. Such was the ease. Even though raid0 may not be
officially growable.

-- Kristleifur