Re: Tools for Hardware Raid?

On 29/12/2009 14:52, Drew wrote:
       The thick clouds of rolling smoke and the open flames might also
lend a clue...  :-)

If I see that we're beyond replacing drives. ;-)

Not necessarily... I had a server once that was badly damaged in a fire, though not one that started inside the machine. The fire was an electrical one behind the machine, with the result that the motherboard and PSU were destroyed. The machine had two hard drives in a RAID-1 at the front, and one of them fared better, in that despite the scorch marks and smoky residue, it still worked. As a result the firm concerned were up and running again the same morning - once I'd found some nice people at IBM who whipped up a suitable replacement and gave it to a same day courier.

Of course I replaced the scorched drive the next day, once the array had rebuilt onto a fresh drive.

Sadly this is OT as the array concerned was on an IBM ServeRAID hardware RAID adapter.

Cheers,

John.