Re: mdadm 3.1.1: level change won't start

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Robin Hill <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't think you can grow and reshape simultaneously.  I think you'll
> need to do this as two operations - either grow to a 5 disk RAID5 then
> reshape to a 6 disk RAID6, or reshape to a 4 disk RAID6 then grow.

Thanks for the replies, Michael and Robin.

Re. metadata version number discrepancy, I'm going to assume for now
that it doesn't affect my reshape, and take it up later in its own
list thread.

Robin, it makes sense that I can't actually grow and reshape
simultaneously - it fits to the mdadm halt I'm seeing - but I did note
Neil Brown saying here >> http://neil.brown.name/blog/20090817000931
<< that

--- "One way to avoid the extra cost of doing the backup [reshape] is
to increase the number of devices at the same time. e.g. if you had a
4-drive RAID5 you could convert it to a 6-drive RAID6 with a command
like mdadm --grow /dev/md0 --level=6 --raid-disk=6 then it will
combine the increase in the number of devices with the change to the
layout and will copy every block only once. " ---

I'm OK with doing the grow and reshape in two separate steps, but the
indication that it should be possible in one step makes me a bit
anxious about the health of my array as it is now. Can anyone confirm
/ deny that a simultaneous reshape+grow is possible or not? Anyone
done one? :)

Thanks!

-- Kristleifur
-- Kristleifur