RE: Booting from RAID1

> >> Oh, and you'll also very likely want grub to read the /boot
> >> filesystem, which is why it must be on a partition followed by the
> >> raid header, instead of a partition containing a raid header and raid
> >> protected partition.  That use is OK since grub operates read-only.
> >
> >        I think I follow you, here.  IOW, partition the drive, create the
> md
> > target, and then format the RAID array, right?  Or are you saying one
> should
> > format the partition and then create the RAID array on top of it?
> >

> It works much more cleanly if you create the RAID array first, and
> then use the container it provides;

	Now I definitely don't follow you.  Are you saying one should create
an array from the raw drive, partition it, format the first partition, then
create secondary arrays from the second and third partition, and finally
format the second and third array?

> this way the end of your file-system does not overlap the raid super-
> block.

	I can follow that - there's a danger of wiping or moving the mdadm
superblock if it is contained in the filesystem, but it seems to me
partitioning the drive and then creating the array from a partition, as I
first suggested, will accomplish that just fine.