Re: RAID5 / 6 Growth

Have you made sure that the value of
/proc/sys/dev/raid/speed_limit_min is high enough? (200000 means 200
MB/s) along with /proc/sys/dev/raid/speed_limit_max?

I interrupted an array resyncing a couple of times without issues.
Only one time I interrupted an array during growth process and I had
an old version of mdadm (2.6.3) which didn't support resuming that. I
think Neil told me that 2.6.9 is the minimum requirement to resume.

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 8:40 AM, Leslie Rhorer <lrhorer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>        I just purchased 2 new drives to add to a RAID5 and RAID6 array,
> respectively.  I have already added the 8th drive to the RAID5 array and
> begun the growth.  The critical phase has been completed.  For safety, I
> umounted the array before I started the growth processs.  At the rate the
> data is being read and written to the drives, the resync is going to take a
> very long time - about 4 days.  I'd rather not have the array down that
> long, unless it's really necessary.  Is there any greater amount of jeopardy
> to a RAID5 array during the growth (once the critical phase is complete)
> than under ordinary circumstances?  That is to say, will losing a drive
> during the resync wreak havoc on the data?
>
>        Once I am done upgrading the RAID5 array, I'm going to add a drive
> to the RAID6 array.  'Same question, there.  Will the loss of 2 drives
> during the resync cause a loss of data?
>
> --

       Majed B.