Re: RAID5 demise or coma? after re-creating with a spare

2009/12/4 Neil Brown <neilb@xxxxxxx>:
> On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 14:46:39 -0500
> Lucian Șandor <lucisandor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> There is a problem with my Linux installation, and the drives get
>> renamed and reordered all the time. Now, it just happened that the two
>> degraded RAID5s won't return to life. The system would not boot, so I
>> panicked and deleted: fstab, mdadm.conf, and some of the superblocks.
>> Now Linux boots, but RAIDs are, of course, dead. I tried to re-create
>> the arrays, but I cannot recall the correct order and my attempts
>> failed. I believe that the partitions are OK, because I don't recall
>> re-creating without "missing", but surely the superblocks are damaged
>> and certanily most of them are zero now.
>> Is there a short way to recover the degraded RAIDs without knowing the
>> order of drives? I have 6 drives in one (including "missing"), that
>> gives 720 permutations. Also, clearing the superblocks is recoverable,
>> isn't it?
>
> Yes, 720 permutations.  But you can probably write a script
> to generate them all ... how good are your programming skills?
> Use "--assume-clean" to create the array so that it doesn't
> auto-resync.  Then "fsck -n" to see of the data is even close
> to correct.
>
> And why would you think that erasing the superblocks is a recoverable
> operation?  It isn't.
>
> NeilBrown

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't realize why googling "recovery after zero superblock" was so
inefficient. Sounds very very troubling.

I will script it then for the one array with non-zeroes superblocks.
One issue is that I didn't use -assume-clean in my early attempts of
re-creation. I know this overwrites the superblock. Didn't it make my
superblocks as useless as if I zeroed them?

Thanks,
Lucian Sandor