Re: RAID5 demise or coma? after re-creating with a spare

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 14:46:39 -0500
Lucian Șandor <lucisandor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
> There is a problem with my Linux installation, and the drives get
> renamed and reordered all the time. Now, it just happened that the two
> degraded RAID5s won't return to life. The system would not boot, so I
> panicked and deleted: fstab, mdadm.conf, and some of the superblocks.
> Now Linux boots, but RAIDs are, of course, dead. I tried to re-create
> the arrays, but I cannot recall the correct order and my attempts
> failed. I believe that the partitions are OK, because I don't recall
> re-creating without "missing", but surely the superblocks are damaged
> and certanily most of them are zero now.
> Is there a short way to recover the degraded RAIDs without knowing the
> order of drives? I have 6 drives in one (including "missing"), that
> gives 720 permutations. Also, clearing the superblocks is recoverable,
> isn't it?

Yes, 720 permutations.  But you can probably write a script
to generate them all ... how good are your programming skills?
Use "--assume-clean" to create the array so that it doesn't
auto-resync.  Then "fsck -n" to see of the data is even close
to correct.

And why would you think that erasing the superblocks is a recoverable
operation?  It isn't.

NeilBrown