Re: need help: corrupt files on one of my raids

Besides the man-page documented issues with 0.90 superblocks is the
fact that they are stored at the -end- of the partition.  This is a
good thing for boot-loaders like grub, which would like read-only
access to partitions to look at file-systems and read data.

However at the same time it is a -VERY- bad thing, because each member
of that raid1 array looks like it's own file-system.  Think about what
happens when one copy of that file-system is changed and the other(s)
is(are) not.

If you're careful, or don't care about the data in that partition (the
data in /boot is generally very -nice- to have, but the system can be
recovered and that data regenerated in one form or another), then
using the 0.9 format (or 1.0 for that matter) superblock is perfectly
fine.  Yet at the same time it's so easy to forget to force a device
rebuild the next time the array is assembled, and to remember to check
if your recovery CD/etc happened to start the array before mounting
things, or if it got mounted without being part of the raid-1 set.

This is why I mentioned using 0.9 / 1.0 only for special cases like
/boot.  1.1 and 1.2 are "better" because they are both at the front of
the partition and make it look nothing like a file-system that can be
mounted until assembled in to a raid array.