Re: MD performance options: More CPU’s or more Hz’s?

I think this will be deeply involved to the RAID(Hardware) than the CPU/Cores.

For example if you have an RAID0 at 1.5GBsec and an RAID6 At 700MBsec(as
you have said) on Dual Core and Quad Core. I think There will be no performance
gains with RAID0 or RAID6 on the software side. But if you use an RAID of Higher
Capacity it will be much more improved. I think it is very difficult
to think in terms of
RAID alone I think this is much more involved with Architectures like
Fibre Channel,
IP SAN etc.

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 3:19 PM, mark delfman <markdelfman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi... I am wondering if anyone can offer some advice on MD performance
> related to CPU (speed and or cores).  The basic question (probably too
> basic) is “for more MD performance are you better with more cpu’s or a
> faster single cpu”.  (in an ideal world we would have lots of very
> fast CPUs, but given we never have enough money....).
>
> Is there any grounding to the following logic:
>
> Presuming that a RAID0 will deliver 1.5GBsec and a RAID6 circa
> 700MBsec, I am guessing there are many complex reasons for the
> difference, but one of the more obvious being the need for the CPU to
> perform all the necessary R6 overheads.
>
> If we look at a single RAID 6 configuration, then I am guessing if we
> increase the speed of the CPU from eg 2.0GHz to 2.8GHz (quad core
> xeon) then the RAID6 calculations would be faster?  Would other
> overheads also be faster and if so is there any know relationship
> between CPU Hz and MD performance (maybe even rough rule of thumb eg
> double cpu Hz and increase R6 performance by 20% etc)
>
> If however I start to think of multiple RAID6 configurations maybe via
> iSCSI etc... then I wonder if MD would be better served with more CPUs
> instead... for example 2 x Quad core 2.0GHz xeons instead of 1 x 2.8.
>  This theory is dependent on linux / md effectively parallel
> processing the overheads and I have no knowledge in this area... hence
> the question.
>
> Any thoughts anyone?
> --

-- Sujit K M