Re: Is My Data DESTROYED?!

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 10:40 AM, adfas asd <chimera_god@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> --- On Tue, 10/27/09, Gabor Gombas <gombasg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Thanks.  But what I have in mind is serving the
>> HTPC's array (with
>> > videos)to the storage server via iSCSI.
>> Hopefully the array can be
>> > mounted on the HTPS and still be served to the remote
>> storage server
>> > by iSCSI?
>>
>> No. You either mount the fs locally _or_ export it via
>> iSCSI. You can't
>> do both simultaneously. If you want to access the files
>> from both
>> locations, you have to use NFS or Samba (or a distributed
>> file system,
>> but that's IMHO way too complicated for your setup).
>
> Oh no.  Well I don't see the point of iSCSI then.

iSCSI is a block level protocol while NFS and Samba work at the file
level. They all have their specific uses and advantages /
disadvantages.

> I wouldn't even consider NFS or Samba because they are ancient bloatware.  I gather from a prior post that rsync has a remote ssh function.  If that's not the case then I guess it has to be sshfs.

No NFS and Samba are not ancient bloatware. What other protocol would
you use for a company file server? Rsync and SSH are not replacements
for group file sharing.

Just use rsync over SSH. Simple and reliable.