Re: Is My Data DESTROYED?!

On Mon, 26 October, 2009 6:14 pm, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> On Mon October 26 2009, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
>> Guy,
>>
>> I use a hot-swap sata enclosure for my disk backup. Mine is installed in
>> one 5.25" slot, elsewhere I have used an external esata version of the
>> same thing. Cheap and gives me the full native speed of the disk.
>
> I have one of those 4-in-3 bay converters, 4 hotswap 3.5" bays, in 3 5.25"
> bays. Really rather nice. Probably get another one later.

I dithered for a while between cheap IcyDock or Jou-Jye 4-in-3 or 5-in-3
vs a SuperMicro 5-in-3, ended up deciding I could stretch the extra few
quid for the SuperMicro, and am pleased with the result. That's not to say
there's anything wrong with the IcyDock or Jou-Jye ones, I've not used
them[1]. But I use this for main data drives, not backups. Still, I too
will probably get another one when 5 drives aren't enough, but that's a
while away (I'll probably need a bigger tape drive for the library first,
the current one's only an LTO-2).

Cheers,

John.

[1] The IcyDock 1-drive SATA caddy I have is very plasticky and doesn't
feel like it'll stand up to many swaps, which is what I bought it for.