RE: Is My Data DESTROYED?!

} -----Original Message-----
} From: linux-raid-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:linux-raid-
} owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Leslie Rhorer
} Sent: Sunday, October 25, 2009 9:36 PM
} To: linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
} Subject: RE: Is My Data DESTROYED?!
}
} > Cool, I learned something.  Thanks.
} >
} > I use disks too.  Could "seek" using dd, but I also gzip my stuff and
} use
} > cpio.  :(  Anyway, I almost never need to restore a file.  :)
}
} 	I rather like fbackup combined with gzip, but I don't know if there
} is a Linux port of fbackup.  I use fbackup to create a named index for
} each
} backup set, whether on disk or tape.  This makes it easy to see if a
} particular file is on an archive without having to load the archive.
}

Where do you keep this index?  Hopefully not on the disk that needs to be
restored.  :)

I thought about it, for my needs I don't need an index.  You don't need an
index for a full restore and I only need to restore once every few years.
And so far, never needed a full restore, just a file or so.  I can live with
a few hours to restore 1 file.  But I really need a faster backup.  My 500GB
USB disks gives me about 15 MB/sec.  I don't know why it is so slow.  Should
be able to do 40+.

Oh, I did have a 22 tape library with a DLT-8000.  But it failed a few years
ago.  Was really cool, but took forever to backup 300-400GB.  I guess my USB
disk is about the same speed, and it takes forever too.