RE: Is My Data DESTROYED?!

	True.  In the case of many, many terrabytes of data, and if
accessibility is not an issue, tapes can be the backup of choice.  That's
why I said, "for many systems".  If the cost of the drive subsystems is in
excess of $100K, then spending $40K for a tape drive makes sense, rather
than spending another $100K - $20M for a drive based solution.  If the total
backup is less than 50T in size, or if availability is a concern, then tapes
are not a good solution.  Right now, at least, tapes cost a bit less than
inexpensive disks, but the drive is quite costly.  It is only once the cost
of the tapoe drive is swamped by the cost of the main drive systems that the
tape is more attractive economically.

> mean everyone can? Maybe not. But if people can afford to purchase
> multi-million dollar SAN and NAS systems, they can certainly afford a
> tape library and some LTO tapes.

	Yeah, but this is a guy with a 4T MythTV server at his house.  If he
were General Motors searching for a backup solution, I would advise him
differently.  If he were a storage solutions company, I would advise him
differently again.  The solution needs to fit the application.

> Is it expensive? Certainly. But often
> disk-based backups can provide a false sense of economy--disks use
> power, take up rack space, generate heat--these are all things people
> should consider when building out a data center.

	This isn't for a data center.  For giant systems, these are all a
consideration.  For systems less than 100T in size, they really aren't.
What's more, cold drives don't use any more power than a tape.  For medium
to large sized off-site backups, removable hard drives are a very attractive
solution.  At about $60 a terrabyte and less than $500 for the enclosure,
it's hard to beat.