Re: Is My Data DESTROYED?!

For those of you who don't follow the list closely, we have gone over this same old ground several times already.

- Of course I know that RAID is not quite as good as backup.
- Of course I wish that backing up could save many terabytes of data for less than $10,000.  But that is not practical today.

Fact:  I have terabytes of data that I want to keep from losing.
Fact:  Disk drives have never been cheaper.
Fact:  It is most cost-effective to save terabytes of data on disk drives, if the proper regimen can be determined for safety.
Fact:  After one month's use mdadm RAID has resulted in a failure which could have been catastrophic had I not determined that somehow JFS functionality was destroyed.
Fact:  Now one of my  arrays has gone into degraded mode for mysterious reasons, and we are so busy arguing about backups that no one can advise on what to do about this.